A Child Custody Lawyer Serving San Antonio For Nearly Two Decades
A San Antonio child custody modifications attorney can be your most valuable resource
Divorces are complicated enough without children being involved. Add kids to the mix, and the entire process can become far more volatile, emotional and time consuming. In addition to the marriage falling apart and financial issues, you also have to worry about where your children are going to live and how you can provide for them.
Joseph P. Appelt is one of the most experienced, reputable child custody lawyers practicing in the San Antonio area. If you face a family law issue involving child custody, contact our firm to arrange a free consultation today. We can also assist you regarding child visitation matters.
You need a child custody lawyer in San Antonio to safeguard your parental rights
The first thing San Antonio family law lawyer Joseph P. Appelt can do for you is explain how the custody process works in Texas. To file for a ruling on child custody in Texas, you must meet the following requirements:
- Your child must reside or have resided in Texas for at least six months before filing the case.
- You must be able to provide evidence regarding the care and education of your child. A San Antonio child custody lawyer can explain the required evidence in greater detail.
- The parents must have some connection to Texas beyond residency, such as working in the state.
You must also be prepared to provide the court with evidence regarding the residency of your child for the past five years.
Conservatorship and custody in the State of Texas
Texas does not refer to the parent with child custody as a custodian or even a guardian. In the Lone Star State, the preferred term is “conservator.” A parent with sole custody of a child is the sole managing conservator, and if the parents have joint custody, the arrangement is a joint managing conservatorship.
As a conservator, a parent has the right to:
- Make decisions about the child’s needs
- Attend the child’s school activities
- Be designated an emergency contact by the child’s school
- Inquire about and be involved in the child’s life and activities
If you wish to alter the terms of conservatorship in your case, you almost certainly need the services of an experienced child custody modifications attorney in Texas. Joseph P. Appelt can help you understand the following factors a court uses to determine conservatorship:
- The child’s best interests
- The child’s testimony if 12 years of age or older
- Any history of domestic violence
As one of the most experienced San Antonio divorce attorneys practicing, Joseph P. Appelt can explain all the laws pertaining to your child custody case during a free initial consultation at the firm’s San Antonio offices. Call us before your spouse does.
Consult with a reputable San Antonio child custody lawyer who can defend your parental rights
For a San Antonio attorney who has spent nearly two decades fighting for conservatorships on behalf of clients, call Joseph P. Appelt, P.C. Contact our law firm today to arrange a free consultation regarding your legal matter. You can reach us online or at [ln::phone]. Our office offers convenient parking and flexible hours, and we accept all major credit cards. Se habla espanol.